Frustration for Opel Dakar Team in stage 7
Opel Mokka stops for technical problem after battling for the lead.
The Africa Eco Race seems to have played a cruel joke on Szalay Balázs' Opel Mokka today. After a flying start which saw Szalay and Schlesser battling for the stage win, an apparent technical problem halted the car in the second half of the stage for more than an hour. Details of the problem are not yet known but the unscheduled stop has cost the team a lot of time. They finished the special in 19th place, 1 hour, 43 minutes and 30 seconds behind winner Jean Louis Schlesser whose buggy they were battling with earlier in the race.
More information about their problem will be know once they reach the bivouac but for now a desperately frustrated Balázs and co-pilot Bunkoczi are trekking from the finish line rueing what could have been. The first half of the race was seriously fast putting them ever closer to 5th placed Shagirov who also had a bad day today. however, despite his problems, he still finished 15 minutes ahead of Szalay stretching his lead further instead of the much anticipated closing in or even overtaking by the Opel Dakar team in the general standings.
Overall, the team now sit one place lower at 7th in the general classification having been overtaken by both Tomecek's Tatra and Henrard's buggy. Saving them from the drop to 8th place was the mare of a day being experienced by Sabatier who lwas first to start by virtue of yesterday stage win. He also stopped in the course, but for more than 2 hours and has yet to finish today's stage.
Tomorrows target will now be Tomas Tomecek, who is 9 minutes exactly ahead of Szalay overall with German driver, Henrard a further 7 minutes 37 seconds down the road.
- 16.01.2014LATEST: Robby Gordon NOT out
- 16.01.2014Not quite official but not looking good
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon out of 2014 Dakar
- 15.01.2014Robby Gordon sole Toyo Tires driver after BJ Baldwin forced to retire
- 14.01.2014Robby Gordon finishes 28th
- 14.01.2014Gordon stopped just before stage end.
- 13.01.201414th for Baldwin on Stage 8
- 12.01.2014Baldwin 28th after difficult final sector
- 12.01.2014Rest day
- 12.01.2014Subdued end to Week one of 2014 Dakar
- 10.01.2014Technical problems for Szalay
- 10.01.2014BJ hanging in
- 10.01.2014Gordon hit with 1hour penalty
- 09.01.2014Robby Gordon 3rd on stage 5
- 09.01.2014Team Opel Dakar finish 11th
- 08.01.2014Chicherit out of Dakar
- 08.01.2014Bad luck and Trouble in Africa Eco Race
- 08.01.2014Gordon 1st Toyo Tires driver home, finishing 14th in stage 4
- 08.01.2014Robby Gordon reflects on the opening stages of the Dakar
- 08.01.2014Chicherit stopped at Km65 for 20 minutes now
- 08.01.2014BJ Baldwin before the storm
- 07.01.201442nd for Baldwin
- 07.01.20145th for Chicherit in stage 3, 6th for Gordon
- 07.01.2014Frustration for Opel Dakar Team in stage 7
- 07.01.2014Longest day for Opel Dakar Team
- 07.01.201414 + 2 = bad luck luck for Baldwin
- 06.01.2014Improved results for Team Toyo Tires in stage 2 of 2014 Dakar
- 06.01.2014Team Opel Dakar 2nd in stage six
- 06.01.2014Team Toyo Tires has a bad day at the office
- 05.01.2014Gordon finally starts special
- 05.01.2014Impatient rest day for Szalay
- 05.01.2014Dakar start for Team Toyo Tires
- 04.01.2014Huge interest in Gordon's new car.
- 04.01.2014Robby Gordon reaches Dakar
- 04.01.2014Szalay storms to second
- 03.01.2014EVR Checks in
- 03.01.2014Balzázs bounces back
- 02.01.2014Szalay Balzázs seventh overall in Africa Eco rally 2014