Subdued end to Week one of 2014 Dakar
Gordon, 21st today, and Baldwin 61st, make it to the end of the first week of the Dakar from hell.
A change of scenery today for the Dakar as the competitors saw green ladscapes and water after the dry Argentinian desert. Both cars came in to the bivouac behind where they wanted to be but full of energy to see what can be done to improve their fortunes in next week's second half of the Dakar. Valuable data has been gained from the cars and makeshift repairs can be properly attended to during the rest day.
The 6th special of the Dakar again saw the bikes and cars take different routes. Another two parter with a neutralised section in between the two competitive parts of the stage and a trip high in the mountains above 3.000 metres saw the cars struggling for air to feed their massive engines and caused a few issues for the cars.
Hard graft was needed to push man and machine to the finish of today's stage. Its easy to be full of energy when things are going well, its a testament to the character of the team when you can shrug off overwhelming problems that would have caused other teams to quit but determination is in the DNA of both Team SPEED Energy and Eric Vigouroux Racing. A tough week, one car down and little to show in the leaderboard for the effort expended.
Tomorrows rest day may well be well earned but anyone thinking that the team will be resting isnt tinking Dakar. The cars may not be racing, but the teams will be at full speed preparing the cars for another week of hell.
Melancholy in the pits as news of the untimely passing of Eric Palante filters through. A highly experienced and well loved rider in the Dakar bivouacs. If you are of a religious persuasion, say a prayer for him and the family and friends he leaves behind.
- 16.01.2014LATEST: Robby Gordon NOT out
- 16.01.2014Not quite official but not looking good
- 16.01.2014Robby Gordon out of 2014 Dakar
- 15.01.2014Robby Gordon sole Toyo Tires driver after BJ Baldwin forced to retire
- 14.01.2014Robby Gordon finishes 28th
- 14.01.2014Gordon stopped just before stage end.
- 13.01.201414th for Baldwin on Stage 8
- 12.01.2014Baldwin 28th after difficult final sector
- 12.01.2014Rest day
- 12.01.2014Subdued end to Week one of 2014 Dakar
- 10.01.2014Technical problems for Szalay
- 10.01.2014BJ hanging in
- 10.01.2014Gordon hit with 1hour penalty
- 09.01.2014Robby Gordon 3rd on stage 5
- 09.01.2014Team Opel Dakar finish 11th
- 08.01.2014Chicherit out of Dakar
- 08.01.2014Bad luck and Trouble in Africa Eco Race
- 08.01.2014Gordon 1st Toyo Tires driver home, finishing 14th in stage 4
- 08.01.2014Robby Gordon reflects on the opening stages of the Dakar
- 08.01.2014Chicherit stopped at Km65 for 20 minutes now
- 08.01.2014BJ Baldwin before the storm
- 07.01.201442nd for Baldwin
- 07.01.20145th for Chicherit in stage 3, 6th for Gordon
- 07.01.2014Frustration for Opel Dakar Team in stage 7
- 07.01.2014Longest day for Opel Dakar Team
- 07.01.201414 + 2 = bad luck luck for Baldwin
- 06.01.2014Improved results for Team Toyo Tires in stage 2 of 2014 Dakar
- 06.01.2014Team Opel Dakar 2nd in stage six
- 06.01.2014Team Toyo Tires has a bad day at the office
- 05.01.2014Gordon finally starts special
- 05.01.2014Impatient rest day for Szalay
- 05.01.2014Dakar start for Team Toyo Tires
- 04.01.2014Huge interest in Gordon's new car.
- 04.01.2014Robby Gordon reaches Dakar
- 04.01.2014Szalay storms to second
- 03.01.2014EVR Checks in
- 03.01.2014Balzázs bounces back
- 02.01.2014Szalay Balzázs seventh overall in Africa Eco rally 2014